Thursday, January 15, 2009

Web2.0 What is this stuff

So I was searching through the graduate business course catalog for the spring semester looking for what would be the next 3 classes I would torture myself with (Yes I am tired of school.......It seems like it will never end.) I have to fulfill my elective requirements, so I looked for what MIS courses were being offered. There were only two; Special Topic in Information Technology,Web 2.0 and Global Information Systems. I've decided to enroll in both.

I chose to take the Web 2.0 class because it's one of the current buzz words that's floating around technology departments in most companies and research firms. So I figured since I am a technology profession pursuing a management degree maybe I should try to learn something about this Web 2.0 stuff. So I went to the current bible of information, that's right Wikipedia to begin getting some background info on web 2.0. It turns out Mr. Open Source himself Tim O'Reilly is the guy who coined the term. He was quoted in 2006 stating that "Web 2.0 is the business revolution in the computer industry caused by the move to the Internet as a platform, and an attempt to understand the rules for success on that new platform." Damn that guy is smart. According to Mr. O'Reilly "Web 2.0 as the way that business embraces the strengths of the web and uses it as a platform." To me that means businesses find more collaborative and effective ways to utilize the web to make business functions easier and more appealing to consumers and vendors.

After reading the Wikipedia gospel I have an understanding what the difference between Level 0 applications, Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 applications are, why AJAX is such a hot topic in the Information Technology arena, how XML and RSS technologies have contributed to the information overload of the youth of the world.

It seems like every time a new catch phrase comes out that every fledgling startup or established front running company tends to try to push something they are developing and somehow attach it to the new rising star. I swear its like clockwork; business execs in their high priced suits are sitting around in boardroom "brainstorming" about technologies which they have no idea what the capabilities are, and how they can pump it up and make some profit off of it, instead of performing some research and figuring out how this unproven technology could help improve their business model or infrastructure.

For now I am going to keep an open mind about this new revolutionary movement and the technology, and opportunities that will come with it. And maybe just maybe this MBA will pay off.


This is Debo and I am taking my soapbox and going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment