Saturday, March 21, 2009

Web 2.0....Database Style

Sometimes finding something to get on the soapbox about can be difficult at times to find a interesting and suitable article. Then there are times when the topic just fall right onto your desk. When working in the research and development field you come across alot of newly created but hardly implemented technologies.Well my director came across an article while reading Slashdot(which is the news for geeks.....I guess I've become a techno geek as well). The technology that the article covered was about a new database gateway software called Glasshouse from Green Phosphor. Since I am the database SME in my group, he asked me to perform a little research and see if this system could be useful in any of the current or proposed projects we have.

Glasshouse is a gateway between data and virtual worlds.When you combine the collaboration tools virtual worlds provide with the knowledge and insight your data provides, you get a powerful new way to make intelligent decisions. Science meets business.


Green Phosphor plans to help others make these new powerful intelligent decisions by allowing users to have an avatar in a virtual environment and give them the capability to view and manipulate the data visually in a environments such as Second Life. The company believes that the advantage to this lies in the need for people who are not "Database Literate" to be able to view and write complex queries with out knowing the in, outs, and the beauty of Standard Query Language aka SQL or .NET'S bastardized development package known as LINQ or .NET Language-Integrated Query (Yeah Yeah I have some issues about making it easier for those who are not true software engineer having an easier way to query objects and databases.....)

I just began my research but so far I've found out there is a beta project of this technology in SL (Second Life) I will have an update in a week or so. Until then me and the box are going to check out those TERPS in the second round...oh and the Lady Terps too!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment