Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Web 2.0 is onething but even the Tax Man is getting into the mix

Well that popular time of the year is quickly approaching. We all know it and some have come to loath it..... TAX TIME. I hate having to drag out all those records from the closet and sitting with my accountant for what seems like forever, as she tries to make head or tails of my personal and business taxes. After many hours of questions and answer sessions we finally see eye to eye and she explains every year why some hair brained write off I want to use will have me in an auditors office or in Leavenworth Federal Prison. So you would think that after we all go through a similar process that we would embrace technology and submit our tax returns over the internet. Well the State of Maryland Comptroller's Office performed a study and the results stated that a surprisingly 42% of taxes last year were submitted through snail mail. Now why would anyone these days want to wait weeks for a manual process of taxes when you can get your return in days (or in my case be put in hand cuffs). Well the Comptroller of Maryland decided to take matters into his own hands and produce a viral video about tax payers of genius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvbRj-XdhRc

Why would they have to go that far to entice people to use something so simple and convenient? Well the survey didn't go into reasons why citizens still prefer to use mail. But one of the biggest detractors is privacy. How can I be sure that this method of electronic submission is secure? We are constantly hearing about laptops being stolen with insurance information, or an employee somewhere losing archived data that has credit card numbers. We can't really be certain that these methods are foolproof. But can we really be all to sure that mailing our taxes is any more secure. Hell I say we just all stop paying that way there won't be any more stimulus packages given to companies that have incompetent upper management make stupid decisions then begging for help so they can continue their incompetent feudal attempts at becoming a profitable successful company.....Sorry lost my place. But to those of you who haven't tried electronic submission of taxes don't feel too bad. I mailed my 2007 taxes last year as well.

Gotta get a new soapbox. I think I gained some weight because it’s a little worn down in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment